We are humbled year after year by the amazing spirit of service that lives and thrives in this desert city. Saturday, April 18, 2015 marked the 22nd Annual HandsOn Greater Phoenix Serve-A-Thon. With the help of 1000 volunteers we served 20 nonprofits, schools, community groups and municipalities throughout Greater Phoenix for a total of 4000 volunteer service hours!! From East Mesa to West Phoenix volunteers dedicated their Saturday morning to build the kind of city they want to live in. Volunteers activated a vacant lot on Van Buren, painted the facilities of two human services agencies & 1 high school, painted 12 murals at five agencies & schools, painted the cafeteria of a Title I school in West Phoenix, installed 3 ribbon fence murals to beautify the streetscape of Grand Avenue, installed a cistern at a community garden to harvest & conserve rainwater, made crafts & played games at a Health Fair for students in South Phoenix, planted over 100 native plants, trees and fruit trees at schools & in neighborhoods in Mesa, South & Central Phoenix, built 15 picnic tables, 8 garden benches, 8 garden beds, 1 pergola, installed shade & lighting in community gardens and much much more!!!
This all would not have been possible without the massive support of an ever-growing community of volunteers, partners and sponsors that support the work of HandsOn and the nonprofits we serve throughout the Valley. Our HandsOn team would like to extend yet another thank you for your selfless service and endless support. Till next year! #SATPHX #HGP
(Pictured Right: Volunteers posing with Mayor Greg Stanton at the Chicanos Por La Causa vacant lot activation & community engagement project in partnership with Design Republic and Phoenix Urban Design Week! #PHXUDW)
>> Take a look at a few moments volunteers captured during the event in our Serve-A-Thon 2015 photo album on Facebook!
DOWNLOAD THE 2016 SERVE-A-THON IMPACT REPORT HERE!
Our 2015 SERVE-A-THON PROJECTS:
- Crafts & Games at the Wilson Elementary School Health Fair
- Painting & Panting at the Maricopa County Animal Care & Control
- Painting Peralta Elementary for Kids!
- Cultivating a Community School at the George G Brooks Academy
- Water, Water Everywhere: Rainwater Harvesting at the Growhouse Garden
- Backyard Garden Project! with the Bioscience High School
- Building Community through Gardening at West Alice Community Garden
- Art Heals: Painting Studios & Galleries with PSA Art Awakenings
- Paint the School for Young Artists at Metro Arts Institute
- Lights, tables, action! in the Gardens at the Southwest Autism Research & Resource Center
- BUILD + CREATE + BEAUTIFY with Chicanos Por La Causa & Design Republic
- Painting the Family Visitation Center with Devereux Arizona
- Life is Grand on Grand Avenue!
- Touch-Downs & Touch-Ups at Tomahawk Elementary School
- Murals for Mesa: College-Bound Kids!
- Canyon Corridor Community Day
- Making Keller Stellar! with Avnet at Keller Elementary School
2015 Serve-A-Thon Sponsors